You're Invited!!!
It's a Pity Party!
Hostess: Me
Time: Right now
Please bring chocolate and assorted junk food, but not your own problems, please. I'd prefer to focus on mine.Usually I don't invite people when I'm busy wallowing in my own circumstances, but I've been challenged to invite people in by reaching out. Actually, I've also been challenged to avoid pity parties altogether since they aren't very productive. So I guess in the end I've just been challenged to invite people into my life by reaching out. Reaching out, however, can be extremely daunting, especially if it means there is a risk making yourself vulnerable and being rejected or ridiculed.
Today's society makes me so angry. As women, we are made to believe we need to have clean houses, organic food, skinny bodies, happy perfect children, fulfilled husbands and stylish/sexy/flattering clothes ALL THE TIME. We are told how to exercise, cook, dress, organize, live, everything! But life is busy, and sometimes complicated and messy. Sometimes I would look around and see other women who seem to get it, and I would look at myself and see how I fall short in every area, and think damaging, discouraging thoughts about myself. Admitting weakness or even just how lonely I felt to other women was not an appealing option.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NLT
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
God is so kind and He has lovingly placed me with groups of women who are truly incredible. They have shared very personal parts of their lives, and in doing so, have encouraged me to make myself vulnerable and transparent. The funny thing is, though, when I first met these ladies, I thought they were perfect and had it all together. Then they would reveal struggles and insecurities that made me want to gasp in shock. You mean I'm not the only one?!
Then the most amazing thing happened-I realized that after seeing what we think are the "ugly" parts of us, these women are even more beautiful than I originally perceived. I see the depth and strength of their spirit, how far they have come despite everything, and that God is continuing to mold them for His wonderful purpose. They have listened to my heart, encouraged me and prayed for me.
There have been times when I felt so alone and thought no one would understand what I was going through. That thinking is so flawed. I would encourage you to reach out to other women. You might be surprised to find out that others think you're perfect, too, and that you have it all together. Women are very skilled at putting up good appearances.
God has given us all gifts that can minister to others. You might be a good listener, encourager, prayer warrior, gift giver, organizer or something else completely! There are so many things we all have to offer for the glory of God! Please ask God to show you who you can encourage today, and I'll be on the lookout for someone, too. Chances are my pity party will be cancelled :)
No comments:
Post a Comment