Sunday, June 14, 2015

I have a song running through my head.  It's quirky and whimsical. It makes me want to explore who I am and what I want out of my life.  It's by Lenka and it's called "Everything at Once" on her album titled Two.

As sly as a fox, as strong as an ox
As fast as a hare, as brave as a bear
As free as a bird, as neat as a word
As quiet as a mouse, as big as a house

All I wanna be
All I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything

As mean as a wolf, as sharp as a tooth
As deep as a bite, as dark as the night
As sweet as a song, as right as a wrong
As long as a road, as ugly as a toad

As pretty as a picture hanging from a fixture
Strong like a family, strong as I wanna be
Bright as day, as light as play
As hard as nails, as grand as a whale

All I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
Everything at once
Everything at once, oh oh oh
Everything at once

As warm as the sun, as silly as fun
As cool as a tree, as scary as the sea
As hot as fire, cold as ice
Sweet as sugar and everything nice

As old as time, as straight as a line
As royal as a queen, as buzzed as a bee
As stealth as a tiger, smooth as a glider
Pure as a melody, pure as I wanna be

All I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be, oh
All I wanna be is everything
Everything at once

What are you passionate about?  What makes your heart sing?  I think God has placed something in our souls that requires joy and fun.  I think it's also extremely important that we invest in ourselves and spend time doing those activities that breathe life into us.  We are meant to dream and have goals and enjoy our lives.

I think of the women in my life, and they are all so different.  One paints, another trains for triathlons, while others garden, bake, sew, read, volunteer, sing, write encouraging letters, ride bike, compete in sports, and on and on.

There is a balance, of course.  I devour books, and the characters become real people to me.  It is a relaxing activity that helps me unwind, but I can use it as a tool to avoid life sometimes, get so involved in a story that my housework doesn't get done.  

I also enjoy doing my nails with some stickers that have recently become popular.  It makes me feel pampered and feminine to have pretty fingernails, and it also reminds me how nice it feels to take time to take care of myself.

What can become a problem is when I compare my passion and activities to others.  I will not be able to paint like my friend, and my other friend has an amazing singing voice, and I want to have a beautiful garden and eat all its fresh produce like another friend and...
 
What I have and enjoy seems not so exciting or wonderful now.  And that's a lie.
 
I would encourage you to look at yourself.  What brings you peace?  Where do your natural talents lie?  Maybe the gift is there, but you need to pull out your sewing machine and dust it off, get back in practice.  It may be something simple, or only take 15 minutes, but go ahead and make the time to do it.  You'll be glad you did :)
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment