Thursday, June 18, 2015

Defiant

I don't know where I got this belief from, but I think I've always been under the impression that Godly women are meek and mild and let the world roll over them without protest.  I do agree women who have a close relationship with God and follow Him with all their heart have a peace about them.  They are not easily ruffled, but peace does not equal doormat.  I also know that women are to submit to their husbands in a relationship that honors God, and where the husband loves his wife as himself.

I still need to be more defiant.  I need to stand up for myself more.  I'm referring to not accepting defeat in the areas of my life where I struggle, and victory seems distant, and sometimes even impossible.

Again, I have been inspired by a song.  When I hear it, I think of Braveheart, or some other epic battle where the people are so passionate and filled with conviction that they give their all, no matter the outcome.  Although, unlike William Wallace (main protagonist in Braveheart), we are already  the conquerors, not the conquered.  Now I realize not everyone has seen Braveheart, and honestly I hadn't seen it until the last year, so I'm sorry if I ruined it for you :)  Anyway, here are the song lyrics.  When I mention a song, I strongly encourage you to look it up and listen to it.  There's just something about the combination of words and song that is so powerful.

Rend Collective
 The Art of Celebration
"More Than Conquerors"

When my hope and strength is gone
You're the one who calls me on
You are the life
You are the fight
That's in my soul

Oh, Your resurrection power
Burns like fire in my heart
When waters rise
I lift my eyes
Up to Your throne

We are more than conquerors, through Christ
You have overcome this world, this life
We will not bow to sin or to shame
We are defiant in Your name
You are the fire that cannot be tamed
You are the power in our veins
Our Lord, our God, our Conqueror

I will sing into the night
Christ is risen and on high
Greater is He
Living in me
Than in the world

No surrender, no retreat
We are free and we're redeemed
We will declare
Over despair
You are the hope

We are more than conquerors, through Christ
You have overcome this world, this life
We will not bow to sin or to shame
We are defiant in Your name
You are the fire that cannot be tamed
You are the power in our veins
Our Lord, our God, our Conqueror

Nothing is impossible
Every chain is breakable
With You, we are victorious
You are stronger than our hearts
You are greater than the dark
With You, we are victorious
[x3]

We are more than conquerors, through Christ
You have overcome this world, this life
We will not bow to sin or to shame
We are defiant in Your name
You are the fire that cannot be tamed
You are the power in our veins
Our Lord, our God

We are more than conquerors, through Christ
You have overcome this world, this life
We will not bow to sin or to shame
We are defiant in Your name
You are the fire that cannot be tamed
You are the power in our veins
Our Lord, our God, our Conqueror



I want to refuse to bow to sin or to shame.  How cool would that be?!  This is where the defiance comes in.  I think I usually take on the mindset of the defeated, when Jesus has already claimed the victory for me.  All I need to do is walk in it, and refuse to accept labels placed on me by myself, the world, or others.  Labels like unlovable, broken, overwhelmed, unworthy, unnoticed.  Sadly, those are only a few of the many examples I could give.

And yet...

Jesus has redeemed me.  That's not who I am.  That's not who you are, either.  We are His beloved, and we are more than conquerors.

Romans 8:37 NIV
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.

Notice how the verse begins with "no?"  When I go over this verse in my mind, I shout the "No!"  Try it.  Be defiant in His name.  Go out there and claim your victory in His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment