Sunday, July 26, 2015

Remind Yourself

I can be extremely forgetful.  I sometimes walk into a room and forget why I was headed there.  There are days where if I'm distracted or interrupted mid-sentence, what I was saying will be completely gone.  I need plenty of reminders-notes, my calendar on the fridge, alarms on my phone, the people in my life, you name it.  I need multiple ways of reminding myself various things.

I am also a visual learner.  Sometimes I can see how I wrote something down in my mind, and what it looked like exactly.  I guess it makes sense that I have notes all over my home.  Yes, a lot of those notes are reminders for doctor's appointments or birthday parties, but I think the other ones are more important.  I bought some star-shaped paper from the dollar store and wrote down verses or phrases that inspire and encourage me.  Our lives can get so busy and distract us from the truths God wants us to remember. 

You are loved. 

God has a great and detailed plan for you. 

You matter.

Last weekend, I was blessed to be able to attend a local women's conference.  One of the activities we did was to sit quietly with our eyes closed and think about seeing Jesus.  What would He do?  Would He say something to you?  Every woman had a different experience, and in mine, I was reminded that He adores me.  Me!  Right now.  In all my mess and mistakes, He loves me.  At a later time in the conference, there was an opportunity to make necklaces and they would stamp words on a pendant if you wanted.  So I got the word "adored" stamped on mine.  Yes, it is a fashionable piece of jewelry, but I usually tuck it under my shirt.  It's a reminder for me, and sometimes when I am feeling low or that I just don't measure up, I cling to that necklace and remember that the Creator of the universe thinks I'm pretty special.  The woman stamping the jewelry shared that her necklace says "brave."  I think that's pretty cool.

In the busyness of our lives, it is so easy to miss the whispers of God's voice, or to not squeeze in that quiet time praying and reading the Bible.  I have found that if I put a verse on my bathroom mirror, I see it often enough that I memorize it without really trying.  And sometimes God will bring that verse to mind when I need His truth to speak into my life.

I would encourage you to find a moment or two and figure out what reminder would speak to you.  Put post-it's everywhere, wear a piece of jewelry that means something to you, make an inspirational picture your screensaver on your phone, do something that will remind you who you really are, and Who you belong to.

No comments:

Post a Comment